Tuesday, November 23, 2010

love and other things.

Photobucket
(spoiler for the end of the post)

When I started this blog back in the summer, I did it for several reasons.
One, I was ready to be me again - to show my creativity and free spirit to not only myself, but those who are willing to type this website into their browser whenever they see that I've updated it.
Two, I don't want to lose that part of me that so many other people don't have. You're either born with creativity, or you're not. Yes, you can achieve that over an amount of time, but the passion must be instilled at a young age. It always was for me.
I remember my first camera. It was small and pink with sparkles on it and a giant barbie sticker. When the film was being developed, the wait felt like eternity... but once I got my hands on those pictures, I loved it. It didn't matter that the pictures always had a reddish hue and were poor quality. I was fascinated by the fact that I could create a picture of anything with a good eye and finger skills to click the shutter.

Sometimes when I'm editing a photo and feel like there's no hope in making it look good because the ISO speed sucks and I took the picture in a place that makes the photo look dark and blurry, I remember back to that precious time of six. I still have all those photos (mostly photos of myself that I made my brother, Jeremy, take of me... but I also have a rather hilarious picture of my brother at 5 years old wearing a dress and pearls and acting like a grandma, but anyway...) and those are my memories.

When I hear about house fires and those that have lost everything, I IMMEDIATELY think of their pictures, the drawings their kids made of hand turkeys in the first grade, the love letters from the first season of love with their spouses, pictures of their great great grandmothers, and the journals they recorded life's ups and downs in, and that breaks my heart. I know all those things are only possessions and in the end of the world they will just be dust, but while we're here on earth I believe that memories are to be cherished. As our minds fade with old age, a picture helps us remember.

With all of that said, what I really wanted to show you were the pictures my sister in law took of David and me. I went to Charlottle Russe, found a vintage looking (yet modern) dress for $15, found a hair tutorial online, and we met up with her at a park. She had all the props (except for the guitar; David brought that) and we sat on a blanket in the middle of a walking trail. When we left about an hour later, I was in pain. I had been attacked by mosquitoes (this is swampy Florida, afterall) and was covered in them all over my legs. For the next 3 days, it was a scratch fest from dawn until dusk.
Sometimes memories can be painful, too. ;-)

Alas, here are the photos:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


I am doing a giveaway right here on November 30. One commenter on my blog will win. Comment and you will be entered. :-)

5 comments:

  1. When I was 3 years old our house burned to the ground. My dad saw the smoke from the field and ran to the house to try and salvage what he could. By the time my mother drove into the yard, hysterical, and with 3 crying little girls, he led her to the tiny pile of their belongings that still remained. There was nothing much of importance except 2 photo albums. They were scorched and black around the edges but the pictures of their lives up till then were intact. Growing up my favorite thing to do was to get out those albums and listen again to the story. Those pictures are very precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shaylee! You guys are so beautiful! Congratulations on your precious anniversary. Miss you guys!

    Brittany Padilla <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Love you! Happy Thanksgiving! Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how these turned out! Thank you for allowing me to express my creativity with this shoot! It was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pics! You two are a great looking couple.It's good to see that you haven't aged much in the year from your wedding. ;)
    Love you both,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete