Saturday, September 4, 2010

just reminiscing.

WARNING: You are about to see a LOT of pictures. If you're not the kind who enjoys pictures, leave now! ;-)


This post is just a post I'm making to reminisce.
I'm now a middle school leader at church, and I have been remembering specific moments of my middle-high school years I thought I would share.

Photobucket
Yes. That's me. With my best friend Bethany. Bethany and I met in 10th grade through a mutual friend.
Photobucket
We've always been crazy and wild with each other. When we are together, you better watch out!
Photobucket
She was there for me through everything - whether it was listening to me worry, complain, or cry over whatever boy I liked at the moment, or enjoying the little moments together.
Photobucket
We both happened to be at New Life Church in the fall of 2009. I was starting School of Worship, and she was doing the Furnace.
Now Bethany is currently in Germany doing YWAM, not knowing exactly what she is going to do with her life, but following the steps she should be taking.
I'm proud of the woman that she is.
I've seen her come through so much insecurity and fear - she has abandoned that. She is taking a new life now.


And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the most unexpected best friend I've ever made:
Photobucket
Do you want to know how Holly and I met?

No, seriously, do you really want to know?

Okay, you asked...

Photobucket
We were both in love (obsessed, more like) with this man.
Clay Aiken.

We met at a Clay Colorado fan board at 13 years old. We were both too young to meet up with the adults who were fans because they were meeting in a restaurant with a bar or something. So, I invited her over to my house.
She was dropped off and immediately I whip out the American Idol board game.
"Let's play!" I excitedly said.
"I don't sing," she responded.
"WHAT???!!!" (Okay, maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but really, she was the first person I had ever met that "didn't sing" - whatever that meant).

The only thing we had in common was Clay Aiken, and when she left that night I told Jeremy one thing:
"That girl is going to be my best friend."
And she still is - 7 years later.
Neither of us really like Clay anymore, and it's cool to see that even though we are opposites, we are still so close. We've been through a lot together, but we've made it!


It's crazy how kids grow up so fast. This was the day Holly's niece, Avah, was born.
Photobucket
Fast forward to now:
Photobucket
(isn't she such a gorgeous girl, already??)

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Junior Homecoming

Photobucket
Palmer Park Overlook - our favorite place :-)

Photobucket


Photobucket
My favorite picture of the three of us (senior year).

And together we made THE GANG. It was our term for the big group of us friends. For three summers, we hung out almost every night together. We did everything together. Many of us dated each other (yes I was one of them. I've always been boy crazy) and those moments are some of the best moments of my life!
Started out with me, Holly, Ross and Ian B (Bethany's brother).
Then we added Bethany, Matt, Jen and Breton (Bethany's other brother).
And our extra gang members were Jeremy and Ian G (Holly's now-boyfriend. Yes, Holly grew up with her boyfriend. Cute, right?)

We were a very close group of friends with a lot of laughter and a lot of love.


Photobucket
(A page from the scrapbook Bethany made me one year)


Photobucket
(That is Jen with us back when she had the gothic punk look or whatever. Haha)
Photobucket

Photobucket
Ian B, Matt, Breton, and Ian G in their band photo. Their group is called "Emolicious" and back then people use to approach them at malls and stuff. They were spread by word of mouth.

Photobucket
This was at our favorite restaurant, Ruby's Diner.
I worked there for a year before they closed down. I still crave their food!
Photobucket

My sister, Kiley and brother, Jeremy have always been two of my favorite people. If you really want to see me in the most awkward stage of my life, here is the perfect picture for that:
Photobucket
(I think I was 14 here.)

Photobucket
That's Kiley (left) with her best friend, Jamie. This was four years ago, and they are still best friends.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My dog, Delaney (I haven't seen her since January):
Photobucket
By the way, I'm not a dog person at all, but I love her. She has a special place in my heart.
Photobucket


Photobucket
In January of my sophomore year, my mom and I went to Los Angeles for a competition I was in. IMTA stands for International Model and Talent Association. I made honorable mentions for my singing and commercial, but I made the top 10 for Miss Junior Actress of the Year. This is the award I got.




Photobucket
Photobucket
I've had every color hair I could ever imagine through my high school years. I think this color always suited me best.

Photobucket
"Hey, do you want to go to an Ingrid Michaelson concert," my friend Rebecca asked.
"Who is Ingrid Michaelson?"

I was deeply deprived.
This picture was my first time seeing her in concert, and then getting to meet her.
She is now probably my favorite artist of all time (other than Gavin DeGraw, duh).


Photobucket
My favorite senior picture that Holly took :-)

Photobucket
...Or this one! (I like making weird faces, I guess)

Photobucket
I was on prom court with one of my closest friends, Natalie.
This assembly was one of the most carefree, funnest moments of my life!

Photobucket
He was my prom court "date." We were just friends but look like a legit couple here! Ha!



Photobucket
Making faces at my friend Maygan while singing. This was when our choir traveled to Disney land to perform!

Photobucket
Photobucket
I was voted "Most Unique" in high school. ;-)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Our Senior Prom... I didn't win prom queen but I didn't care! I had a blast!

Photobucket
I worked at a lodge at the base of Mount Evans the summer after my senior year. Jeremy came with me... it was some great times! This was the whole crew. We lived together for 3 months.

My attempt at being creative:
Photobucket

Photobucket



Ahhh... memories. My memories.
It's such a beautiful thing. And one thing is for certain: People always made fun of me for carrying around a camera 24/7 while growing up, but I'm so glad I did! It's good to reflect on your past and where you come from!

Have a great weekend!!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shay it's Jennifer if you can't tell by the user name.
    Wow, just yesterday I was thinking about how stupid I looked with all that gothic clothing, dark makeup, and chains. I was walking through town last night looking at all the middle schoolers noticing how ridiculous they all looked... but then I realized I was one of them a few years back.
    It's amazing how much you change when you get older, but what's even more amazing is the traits that will never go away. Ever since I met you, you have been this fun, outgoing, CRAZY girl that can always put a smile on my face. And in ten years I'm sure you will be exactly the same (which is definitely a great thing).
    It's so weird for me to think that at one point we were all just a bunch of high schoolers (okay middle school for me) hanging out and having fun. I'm so glad we had all those memories, because they are some of my best. I really hope we can all get together again, but the likeliness of that happening anytime soon is slim to none. And personally, I will never make fun of you for taking so many pictures, because it does bring back so many great moments. Except you forgot my favorite one, which is the picture of all of us at the wedding. That by far was one of my favorite times even though I was only there a few short days.

    I miss you so much Shaylee and I love you to death! Now I just need to work on finding a time to come visit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww who could ask for a better best friend? This is really sweet:)

    And I can't get over how cute & little bret is in these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really surprised that you didn't have a camera at Andy McCarthy's to catch pictures of all the crazy peeps there! Haha.

    Love all the pictures though! I wish I could take good pictures : [

    ReplyDelete