Tuesday, April 12, 2011

what I've dreamt of all my life is here.

Today, I'm 21 years old.
Photobucket
When I was a little girl, I remember looking at myself in the mirror, brushing my hair, thinking of what life would be like for me at 21 years old - where I'd be, what I've accomplished, who I am. And I have to say, it isn't much different than what I imagined.

1. I always knew I'd marry young. It was a desire God placed in me that I can't explain, and I knew he'd fulfill it. And he did!

2. I always wanted to have a career singing/acting and although it may not be the way I've always envisioned it, it's the way God has planned! I'm working on getting there and learning to be patient. Also, David and I are worship leaders and though that isn't about performance, in a way it fulfills that desire, too.

3. Let's face it, what else did I think about? The things every kid things about - having a car, a house (or in my case, condo) or even just a flat screen TV! I have all of those things, too.

I have to say I'm feeling a wide range of emotions on this day. I'm happy & blessed because in the 21 years I've lived I've only faced minimal heartbreak. The worst things that have ever happened to me was getting made fun of in middle school, having a bad breakup after high school, and then moving away from my family - like I said, MINIMAL.

And then there's the other side where I have to tell myself that just because I'm a "legal adult" doesn't mean I'm not young anymore. This may sound strange, but I take pride in being young. I love it when people find out I'm married and have been for a year and a half and then they gasp thinking I'm 18 and thinking I got married at 16. It's really classic to see.

I'm such a memory person, and I guess sometimes I'm afraid of getting older because I'm afraid of forgetting the old memories, even if it means I'm creating new ones. I have a tendency to live in the past and to focus on all the great things that were. I'm not a visionary, and sometimes I don't like that about myself, but I deal with it.

My mom said on the phone today, "21 is when life begins." I will listen to her, because she was right about everything else so far (except for saying I'd get pregnant by now... ha ha)

So, here's to the next years of my life. May I always remember the day I became a legal adult, but remained a child at heart! ♥

2 comments:

  1. Wise words Shay! May you always remain a "child at heart". Happy 21 Love Ya. *Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw this til today. You are very wise and I am proud to say you are my daughter. I also like to think that maybe I had something to do with how wonderful you turned out. I love you my sweet Shaylee Nicole!

    ReplyDelete